The eCommerce industry has risen into a multi-channel with retail eCommerce sales soaring to USD 2.3 trillion in 2017, with the potential to grow up to USD 4.88 trillion in 2021. You can maximize this growth by aligning your marketing and business goals with growing eCommerce market trends.
As an eCommerce entrepreneur, you aim to sell as many products as you can. That’s why you should start your journey by creating a good eCommerce website. Learn more about the qualities of a good eCommerce website by continuing to read below.
Good Web Design
You can take advantage of using eCommerce software to build your eCommerce website to ensure you’ll have a good web design. It’s crucial to possess the best qualities of good web design to avoid having your visitors leave your site and finding similar products elsewhere.
The characteristics of a well-designed eCommerce website include the following:
- Ease of Navigation: Make sure to conduct a “design impact testing” and “user experience testing” before launching your eCommerce website. That way, navigational problems are assessed and fixed.
- Effective Search: A shopper tends to get frustrated if the product is hard to search for.
- Quality Photos: You should upload high-resolution images showing the original appearance of the products you sell. Doing so will properly set your customers’ expectations about the item and avoid getting complaints such as “item not properly described.”
- Fast Load Times: If you want your visitors or customers to stay on your eCommerce site, make sure that you have quick load times, ideally 3 seconds or less. According to a Google Webmaster video, the threshold page load time for eCommerce website acceptability is 2 seconds.
Mobile App or Mobile Compatibility
The majority of online shoppers use mobile devices, like smartphones, to purchase products online. That’s why your eCommerce website should be mobile-friendly with high-quality images and videos. It’s a good idea to have a mobile app for your eCommerce business so consumers can download your app and enjoy the ease of shopping anytime, anywhere.
Here are the benefits of having a mobile-friendly eCommerce website:
- Gain More Traffic: A clean and straightforward mobile app with clear call-to-action buttons and links drive more traffic to your site.
- Get Quality Leads: Uploading great mobile versions of images attracts more users that convert to quality leads.
- Increase Conversion Rate: A mobile navigation that’s easy to use to make customers more willing to avail of your products.
- Boost Sales: An easy mobile checkout car function increases your sales compared to a complicated checkout process. Learn more about having an easy checkout process below.
If you want a smooth-running and a successful eCommerce website, you need to make sure that you have clear policies. A clear policy protects you and your customers, mitigating any future conflicts like returning an item too late.
Many people still wary of using a credit card online due to risks of fraud or cyber threats. Having a clear policy in place helps signal to visitors that you provide a safe environment for shopping.
Here are the benefits of having a clear eCommerce site policy:
- A clear shipping policy makes your buyers more confident in purchasing products on your site because you have a trusted and reliable system in place.
- You create a culture of confidence and reliability in your customers.
- You set clear expectations for your customers, like processes and time frames involving refunds, returns, money-back guarantees, disputes, and warranties.
Easy Checkout Process
You can significantly lose customers if your checkout is poorly designed. Aim to strike the right balance between usability and functionality. Also, it aim to build trust for an excellent checkout experience.
Here are some of the best qualities of a good checkout process:
- Show shipping clearly
- Clear “checkout” button
- Make contact support easy
- Display security logos
- Show product images in the cart
- Make editing options in cart contents easy
- Clutter-free checkout
Safe and Secure
Every eCommerce website should be safe and secure. You shouldn’t only aim to have an SSL certificate, but also highly reliable web security features in place, like antivirus or anti-malware software. Keep your eCommerce website up-to-date at all times. Also, you should assign human intervention to audits or security checks, keeping an eye on your site security 24/7.
Here are some other ways to ensure you have a safe and secure eCommerce website:
- Choose an excellent eCommerce hosting service to keep hackers away. Make sure that your hosting service has an excellent backup service to quickly restore essential data after a security breach.
- Use Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure or HTTPS to eliminate online frauds. Also, before moving your eCommerce site to HTTPS, it’s crucial to have a Secure Sockets Layer or SSL certificate. HTTPS is vital for user protection because it creates a secure link between the browsers of the online users and your servers, preventing hackers from stealing your data. On the other hand, SSL provides security for data entered by your customers, such as credit card information, making them encrypted to avoid being used in fraudulent activities. Google uses HTTPS as a form of a ranking signal, giving your website a higher position in search engine results pages or SERPs, which can translate to higher traffic.
- Choose a safe and secure eCommerce platform. Security should be your priority when choosing a platform to establish your eCommerce business to keep customers coming back and for smoother business operations.
- Secure user-level information. You can do this by making sure that you remind your customers to take various safety and security precautions when using your site. For instance, remind your consumers to create unique passwords or change passwords after a month.
- Never store sensitive data because it is very risky, most especially if financial information is involved.
- You can use tokenization that generates random numbers, referred to as tokens, in place of customer data to help prevent credit card fraud.
A good eCommerce website is fast, appealing, secure, navigation user-friendly, and mobile-friendly. It should have a smooth checkout process, intuitive buttons, high-quality photos, clear product descriptions or listings, and a clear policy. There should be a balance between aesthetic quality, functionality, and usability.