The Use Of LED Large Format Display Screens
Large format display screens (LFDS) are fast becoming a popular form of advertisement for many organizations. But, they have may other applications besides that. You can use them for meeting room presentations, airport lounges and even at a reception desk. But, the best way to get the most out of LED LFDSs is to learn more about how they work. Read on as we explore the different features and applications offered by this cutting-edge technology.
What does “large format” mean?
Large format refers to flat screens that have a minimalist design with a slender frame. This makes it easier to deliver compelling, high-quality images without taking up too much space.
These screens often feature a thin bezel which makes for easy mounting and they’re available in different sizes starting from 32 inches all the way up to 90 inches. The average LFDS however, is between the sizes of 40 to 60 inches, and comes with various adapters and inputs to support different media.
Depending on your needs and intended purpose, you can use a single large format display or group together several screens to create a story board effect.
Features to look out for
Large format display screens come in the form of Plasma, LCD or LED formats. This article focuses on the latter. Here are some of the most important features to consider if you’re looking to invest in an LED large format display:
- HDMI cable: Although most models don’t come with a TV tuner, they do feature a convenient HDMI cable that allows you to play television. You can also use this cable to connect to an external 4K media player to create visually rich presentations.
- Multiple inputs: Aside from HDMI cables, large format display screens usually feature YPbPr, AC, Display Port and VGA inputs. It also helps to have a USB input so you can “plug and play” content, and an RS-232 for ultimate remote control.
- Tempered glass screen: Since you’ll be using your LFDSfor welcome boards, digital signage and message broadcasts in public spaces, it makes sense to pick one that’s made from durable components. Tempered glass screens come highly recommended for their ability to withstand impact and temperature changes. Plus, tempered glass is 4x stronger than regular glass and practically shatterproof.
- Energy efficiency: Your LFDS should come with eco-friendly and energy-efficient LED backlights.
- Weight: You should also look for thin and lightweight design that lends itself to ease of use. Typically, LFDS weight about 15 to 30kg. This makes them quick and easy to install because they don’t require a whole team of people to mount.
- Display quality: Opt for a unit that offers 1080 full HD resolution and 4K capability.
Why would you need LFD?
Large format display screens are quite versatile. You can use them for a number of applications, including:
- Retail digital signage:
A LFDS is a great way to greet customers that walk into your establishment. Make sure that it contains content that’ll increase brand awareness while promoting your products or services.
- Staff training:
Companies that do a lot of training days can also benefit from using LFDSs. You and your team can use it to enjoy top-notch imagery and videos presented in a large, interactive touchscreen display.
You can also get rugged large format displays that are designed for outdoor use which are ideal for outdoor team building exercises.
Interactive touch screen versions are also available and can be very useful for meetings and/or presentations.
Airports typically use LFDSs to display passenger information, flight schedules, news and weather updates to keep waiting passengers occupied.
Businesses are spoilt for choice when it comes to large format display monitors. The key to finding one that works for you is to consider what you will use it for and how many you’ll need. Most importantly, make sure that your LFD is easy to use and comes with an Energy Star 5.0 certification for energy efficiency. This certification usually means that the LDF contains fewer emissions and dangerous substances. Lastly, make sure it has all the connectivity that you require to convey information efficiently and easily.